Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thanksgivin'

I posted recently about how Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up soon and how much I can't wait to spend time decorating and eating with my family but think about this...

What if you didn't get to spend Thanksgiving day or Christmas day with your family?

Understandably, it's not the actual day that makes it important it's the thought but our society depicts a specific day out of the year for these holidays to occur. I'm starting to realize how many people out there aren't as fortunate as me - they don't get to spend Thanksgiving day or Christmas day with their families because they're busy protecting us - the people who are privileged enough to get the opportunity to make wonderful memories and enjoy their holidays safely.

I can't imagine what's it's like for our soldiers in other countries and how hard those days must be knowing they can't see any of their loved ones. Unfortunately, I can't walk/fly across borders to feed them Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner but I've decided to try to make a difference in my own area with the people who directly protect me and my family.

This is TONNYYYY and we've been friends for about 3 or 4 years now (and yes, I say his name just like that every time I see him and people always make fun of me for it but that's alright).


He's one of my best friends and he's a fireman. Now, his dad was a fireman too and he drove the ladder truck for the town for a looonnngggg time. He comes from the nicest family I've ever met and I can see why he's such a great man now.

I guess I never really appreciated firemen and policemen in the way that I should until I became friends with him. Firemen hold a special place in my heart now. He's opened my eyes to so many amazing men and women who work in my town to protect all of us on a daily basis.

This year I feel the need to give back, not just to Tony, but to the stations within my community that keep my family safe. Tony, like the rest of his shift, have to work on Thanksgiving Day - they don't get time to go have lunch or supper with their families, they have to work all day long. So this year I've decided I'm going to make Thanksgiving supper for Tony's station. How am I going to do this? I don't know yet but they deserve to have a home cooked supper just like the rest of us! I may need help with this cooking adventure (I'm hoping to get a couple of people involved in this miraculous idea) but I'm determined that this is what I want to do, I want to thank them for all they do. And if for some reason I'm not allowed to do this I'll find someway to show my appreciation.

That's what Thanksgiving's all about right? Giving thanks? I think sometimes I lose sight of that but not this year and hopefully not any year after this one.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT a sweet idea! I will be in SC on Thanksgiving Day, but I will be happy to pick up some items or give you some money to help out! Precious idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Beth :) I'm figuring everything out and Tony and I are having lunch tomorrow to discuss what I want to make and what time I should bring it buy the fire station but I'd love if you could make some kinda dish if you wanted? So far I think I'm makin' stuffing, green bean casserole, creamed corn, mashed potatoes (which I'm hoping my sis might chip in on cause she makes bangin' potatoes) and pumpkin pie. Surprisingly, Tony said no one's ever volunteered to make them Thanksgivin' before which to me is shocking but I'm happy to be the first!

    ReplyDelete