Carley came down with kennel cough about a week and a half ago. She was pitiful - she would barely eat and she was coughing constantly. I finally got her on the right medication and she's almost completely better now, thank goodness!
Dr. Wimsey is Carley Sue's doctor at Banfield and she's magical. She takes care of my parents 12 year old westie and 8 year old cocker spaniel too so that makes it even better.
Well, when I went in for Carley's exam today I decided to get her advice on a little problem I'd been having. You see, my "puppy" now weighs 52 pounds which literally means she weighs half of what I do. With that comes the fact that when she's got her mind made up that she's gonna drag me all over, she will and walking her has become torture because of it.
I've had dogs since I was a kid, when I was born my parents already had a dog and we've never lived without one since. My dad, super dog trainer that he is, has always used these nifty things:
I explained this problem to the vet and she recommended this new product to me that fits around the dogs face and when she pulls, it pulls her snout towards you instead of pulling on her neck. So I went and bought one, it was $10 on clearance and I figured what the heck, might as well. Let me tell you something, I put that harness around her for the first time this afternoon and she instantly corrected her behavior, no more pulling me around or tugging at her leash. I figured maybe it was just a short term thing since I only used it to take her out potty so I decided I'd take her on a walk tonight to see how it worked. Yet again, the thing was AMAZING. If you have a dog - like mine - who practically pulls you around, try this, it works!
I couldn't be more thankful for a vet who cares and these magical walking harnesses above. Tomorrow I'm off to buy Carley a cow bone (one she can't even chew pieces off of), to help keep her teeth clean and prevent her from eating bone parts that might get stuck in her throat, now this may be a challenge since I've never bought a cow bone before!


No comments:
Post a Comment